• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use brand names in my portfolio?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lokibrth

I'm a new designer. I need to create a lot of example work to fill in my portfolio. For instance, I'm planning on creating several magazine adds. Is it ok to use actual existing brand names and products in those even if I wasn't actually hired to create any such works?

FlyingRon

In this case yes. You're obviously not competing against their mark nor using it in a way that would create confusion with their mark. If by portfolio you mean something you show only to specific prospective clients rather than the public, then they'd be hard pressed to even argue dilution.

That's the trademark issue. Now I'd be very careful that I didn't misrepresent myself as having done that work for real when showing that portfolio around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">