• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I use the initials of a school on an unofficial website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

piknikie

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I am a student at a major university in Oklahoma. Our campus is not located in the city where the "Big" university is -- so, we are apart of a "DISTANCE LEARNING" program.

As an elected officer for our class (Historian) - I have purchased a domain name that has the initials of the school (for example: www.OSUmuskogee.com - this isn't the name-- just an example) I did this so that we could post pictures of events that we (the student body) are apart of - such as community service, teach projects etc. I built the "unofficial" website - and emailed the students that they could print off the pictures from there.

Here is the problem: I am catching flack now - because the name of the school is on the website - I have been asked NOT to represent the school on the website - Did I waste my $$ on a site that I cannot use? The students do not have a problem with it -- it is the "higher ups"

Please note: I didn't copy the logo of the school - I used a paint program and typed in the letters that are used to make up the logo - they look similar - but I have our town's name incorporated into the .jpg

P

piknikie

in addition to my first post

my initial question should be: Can I have a site that has the school initials and my towns name after?? Like the example I gave above: www.OSUmuskogee.com ??

thanks for any advise/feedback

racer72

The school has the right to ask to change your URL. The school name and derivitives belong to the school. That is why you should have asked to use the initials, they might even have said yes. The student handbook from a large 4 year university near my home even spells out what the students can and cannot use in making websites.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">