• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use movie titles on free movie nights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mage121179

This is a question from Ripon College, Wisconsin. I run movie nights in my fraternity, and I was recently told by the administration that I was not allowed to put the movie titles on the posters around campus advertising our free movie night. They said it was a violation of copyright laws. I think since the movies are legally bought and owned, we aren't charging anyone, and we are a non-profit organization there should be no problem. Is it legal or not???

racer72

Not legal. The copyright notice on all movies clearly states the the movie is for private use only and not for public viewing. Even though you do not charge admission, your free movie nights are technically a violation of the copyright. All it would take is one unhappy non paying customer to have the wrath of a movie studio legal team sending you sternly worded cease and desist letters.

R

Richrob

Free Movie Night reply

One good thing though, because you are non-profit and because you are usually (I am assuming) showing movies that are for sale over the counter, you may find that obtaining permission to show the movies is gratis. People assume a lot regarding the "big" guys in Movie and Music, however they do have a soft side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">