• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use a photo of a Goggle image search in a book?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

preservationist

Ohio

I am making a limited edition (25 copies) book. Can I use a screenshot photo of a Google image search in the book?

https://www.google.com/search?q=portfolio+review&safe=off&biw=1051&bih=482&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-XX8VPGTH4OGyATl1YLQAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1.3#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=portfolio+review+graphic+design&revid=978138953

The book will have a price on it, but in reality it is being donated to special collection libraries in the US, UK, Canada and Germany.

Thanks

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You can't steal other people's works no matter how you weasel it. This is NOT fair use. Google doesn't own those images, the copyrights still remain with their creators (or to whomever they chose to assign them). Get permission or don't use them.

quincy

Ohio

I am making a limited edition (25 copies) book. Can I use a screenshot photo of a Google image search in the book?

https://www.google.com/search?q=portfolio+review&safe=off&biw=1051&bih=482&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-XX8VPGTH4OGyATl1YLQAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1.3#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=portfolio+review+graphic+design&revid=978138953

The book will have a price on it, but in reality it is being donated to special collection libraries in the US, UK, Canada and Germany.

Thanks
I agree with FlyingRon. Not only do you need permission from the holder of the copyrights in the images, you also need permission from the artists whose works are pictured and you need permission from any people pictured.

Why do you need to use a Google image search for your book?

preservationist

I agree with FlyingRon. Not only do you need permission from the holder of the copyrights in the images, you also need permission from the artists whose works are pictured and you need permission from any people pictured.

Well, I am discussing a topic related to Google image searches about one's art and how others art can creep into a search of one's name and get mistaken for their art.

No money is changing hands on the sale of the books. They are educational, limited edition. If this is not fair use, what is fair use?

Last edited:

justalayman

'cuz, as the OP stated before they edited their post, there are pictures they cannot otherwise obtain or, in other words; it's cheaper than either purchasing the rights to use the pics, hire a photog, or taking them themselves. You know, the same reasons everybody that wants to inappropriately utilize another's property uses.

quincy

Well, I am discussing a topic related to Google image searches about one's art and how others art can creep into a search of one's name and get mistaken for their art.

No money is changing hands on the sale of the books. They are educational, limited edition. If this is not fair use, what is fair use?
I went over what is fair use in your other thread but, essentially, fair use is NOT permission to use another's copyrighted work. Fair use can be used as an affirmative DEFENSE to using another's copyrighted work.

I should add to my previous post that, in addition to all of the other permissions you would probably need, the type of screenshot you want to use can require permission from Google.

(thanks, justalayman, for letting me know what was said in the pre-edit ;))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">