• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Use A Quote From A Local Newspaper In Advertising?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UtahRugbyGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I am in the advertising industry. One of my clients is a restaurant and they are one of the (if no THE) top restaurants in the Salt Lake area. They had a 4-star review from a local newspaper with an article and quote from that particular food critic. Legally, do I have to approach that publication to be able to use their quote on a billboard? Or, can I quote them without any legal repercussions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

You need permission from the copyright holder (either the writer or the publication, depending on who holds the rights to what was printed), and you would need additional permission from the food critic to use his name for advertising purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">