• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I write a trivia book about a movie and/or TV show?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DylansDad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington Hello, I am really into trivia and was wondering if it's legal to write trivia question and answer books based on TV shows and movies? I've been on Amazon.com looking and I see a lot of "unofficial" titled trivia books for Star Wars and Star Trek for example. Could I write a trivia book based on for example the TV show Friends? If so, what rules must I follow? Thank you very much.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington Hello, I am really into trivia and was wondering if it's legal to write trivia question and answer books based on TV shows and movies? I've been on Amazon.com looking and I see a lot of "unofficial" titled trivia books for Star Wars and Star Trek for example. Could I write a trivia book based on for example the TV show Friends? If so, what rules must I follow? Thank you very much.
Books of the sort you are considering are doable, but you need to be aware of the laws that protect the TV shows and movies upon which you wish to base your books.

For any book, you have copyright issues, defamation issues and privacy issues. For a trivia book based on TV movies and shows, you also have trademark issues.

With trademarks (the names, the logos, the slogans that identify the product shows and movies), you must avoid confusing consumers into thinking your book is affiliated with (written by, endorsed by, sponsored by) the trademark holders. You cannot use the trademarks to promote your books except to use the trademarks in a descriptive sense (ie, this book is about Star Wars).

With copyrights, you must not take more of any copyright-protected material than is necessary for the trivia. You cannot, for example, quote large portions of shows or movies without some risk of infringing. Also, any photos or stills taken from the shows and movies will be copyright protected. You must get permission (a license) to use these from the rights-holder (often the photographer, sometimes the producers - you will have to search for the holder of the rights).

You must handle the reputations of those who appeared on the shows or in the movies, or are connected with the shows or movies with care, so that you do not defame them. Reputations are valuable. If you expand beyond the characters played or their roles in the shows/movies and wander into their off-screen lives, you risk privacy invasions (depending on the content).

Here is a link to the Knight Community News Network website where you can scroll down to find a "module" titled the "Top Ten Rules for Limiting Legal Risk," detailing the risks writers face when writing: http://www.kcnn.org/modules/. By reading through the information provided there and keeping it in mind when creating your books, you can better ensure your books will not attract the unwanted attention of TV show and movie attorneys.

A review by a publishing law professional of your completed books, prior to publication, would be smart and I advise it. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DylansDad

Thank you for the very fast and very informative reply Quincy. That is a wonderful idea about having a publishing law professional review my work prior to self-publishing on Amazon.

quincy

Thank you for the very fast and very informative reply Quincy. That is a wonderful idea about having a publishing law professional review my work prior to self-publishing on Amazon.
Good luck with your books, DylansDad. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">