• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you re-post webcam images?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesghrm3

I have an internet question. I was recently using my webcam to talk in a chat room. I had no idea that my image could be captured by someone I was not talking to and then re-posted. The image is one that looks like a 'print-screen' page- and even has the websites logo in it. I was not in contact with this person at all and they took/recorded my image and re-posted it on their blog (through google) without my consent. I am not happy about my image being recorded and posted without my consent. Not only did I not know that the picture was taken, I did not know it would be re-posted. I have asked the blogger to take down the photo and he has refused. There are many other pictures of other people in more compromising situations on his site. My question is this: is he infringing on copyright laws (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) by stealing and publishing my image? The website I was on states that I am responsible for my image and that it is also my property. The site also said that it owns rights to it's name and content therein. This blogger is not affiliated with the site. Is he then not only in violation of my personal copyright (my image my ownership) and the websites? If the image of myself is not taken down can I pursue civil action? I want to be sure that if I do follow thru on this I wont end up being stuck with the bill (I will peruse it through Google). Any help/info will be appreciated.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">