• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you use an unauthorized photo in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applebuilder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I didn't know where to put this but can I take a picture of somebody without their consent if I intend to use that picture against the individual in court? Of course the picture would be exclusive to the incident in dispute. Thanks.

quincy

You do not need the consent of the person to take a photo of them if they are in a public place when the photo is taken. To use such a photo in court would be okay.

If you must violate a law in order to take the photo (trespass, invade privacy), then it is not okay to take the photo, and it is not, therefore, okay to use it in court.

I don't really know the law on the matter, but, why would the court not accept photographic evidence? Even if it is in violation of copyright, or privacy, or some other thing, is not a trial a search for the truth? By what theory would a person object to a photograph being presented as evidence?

applebuilder

Hi HappyWanderer, I'm not sure if you're question was directed towards me but in my case I was worried about violation of privacy as you mentioned. A trial is indeed a search for the truth, theoretically, but in reality there are many technicalities (some for good reason). I know very little about law but as I understand it any evidence can be omitted from a case if it was gained unlawfully. An example would be if the police illegally searched a defendant's house and found evidence that strongly indicated the individual to be the perpetrator in a murder. No matter how explicate the evidence is to the case it must be disregarded. This is obviously a more extreme condition than my own but it works on the same principals.

I'd like to make clear that I could be totally wrong about this.

If the police illegally searched a house, you could exclude the evidence as fruit of the poisonous tree. If a private party searched, the result would be different. The Constitution limits government, not people.

A violation of privacy could be a problem. That problem should not limit evidence. Some may know better than I, but that's what I think.

(Come on some of you, I need you to disagree so I know I'm right.)

applebuilder

I'd like to add that your point is absolutely valid and I sympathize with it completely. The problem with that particular philosophy is that it advocates that the end always justifies the means. Even Hitler was working towards an ideal world in his own mind. If you were allowed to use any evidence in a case, regardless of how it was obtained, then you'd have people breaking laws left and right trying to get something that might prove them correct.

applebuilder

It looks like you posted before I could. My last post was a response to your first. Anyways, like I said I really don't know anything about law so I'll leave to the professionals.

applebuilder

To be clear I'm more interested in what technically happens and I'll leave the moral implications to the individual. Your statement "If a private party searched, the result would be different" would indicate that if a party in the case provided evidence that was known to be obained illegally by the individual it would be excepted as relevant. This is contrary to Quincy's statement "If you must violate a law in order to take the photo (trespass, invade privacy), then it is not okay to take the photo, and it is not, therefore, okay to use it in court."

Guess I'm going to need multiple opinions on who's right.

There are certain things an opponent can object to. Hearsay, relevance, facts not in evidence, stuff like that. I'm uncertain as to the objection when the evidence was gathered by a non-governmental violation of privacy.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I didn't know where to put this but can I take a picture of somebody without their consent if I intend to use that picture against the individual in court? Of course the picture would be exclusive to the incident in dispute. Thanks.
Pi's do this all the time in workmans comp cases.

To be clear I'm more interested in what technically happens and I'll leave the moral implications to the individual. Your statement "If a private party searched, the result would be different"
The result could be different.

would indicate that if a party in the case provided evidence that was known to be obained illegally by the individual it would be excepted as relevant.
It could be excepted, not neccessarily would be accepted.

This is contrary to Quincy's statement "If you must violate a law in order to take the photo (trespass, invade privacy), then it is not okay to take the photo, and it is not, therefore, okay to use it in court."
Okay, here's the deal. You are protected against unreasonable GOVERNMENT intrusions. Meaning evidence illegally gained by the government cannot be used against someone at trial (before anyone jumps on me, yes, there are limited exceptions to this).

You are not afforded that same level of protection from a fellow citizen.
However, if that citizen has to break laws to acquire the evidence, it greatly, if not thoroughly diminishes their credibility as a witness.

Guess I'm going to need multiple opinions on who's right.
They both are to some degree. I tend to agree with HW a lot. He does the heavy lifting and comes up with case cite's.

There are certain things an opponent can object to. Hearsay, relevance, facts not in evidence, stuff like that. I'm uncertain as to the objection when the evidence was gathered by a non-governmental violation of privacy.
HW, I think the objection is going to be the attack on the credibility of the person who produces the evidence through unlawful means. Not to say evidence can't be introduced through the illegal acts of Joe citizen, I do think there is a mine field to walk through to get it done though.

applebuilder

Cool, so I guess it all depends. In either case I don't plan on breaking the law or getting myself into anything so serious. No matter, it's always great to learn more about the system we live in, I appreciate it.

quincy

Happy Wanderer and Joshuaace bring up a legitimate point. Traditionally, common law has allowed for evidence to be admitted in civil cases without regard for the manner in which it was obtained. Unlawful acts used to obtain the evidence was not considered in judicial decisions.

And Happy Wanderer and Joshuaace are correct that the exclusionary rule is generally limited to government actors and has generally not been considered applicable to civil actions or evidence obtained by private persons.

However, there are state statutes which include exclusionary provisions and there are constitutional principles to guide a court, and there is an ever-growing body of case law that supports exclusion or suppression of illegally obtained evidence in civil cases.

In 1928, in Olmstead v United States, Justice Brandeis questioned the use of illegally obtained evidence in court. It should be excluded, he said, to "maintain respect for the law; in order to promote confidence in the administration of justice; in order to preserve the judicial process from contamination."

And in Burdeau v McDowell, which defined the role of government actors under the exclusionary rule, the Court said that "judicial integrity" was harmed by the admitting of evidence illegally obtained. "To sanction such proceedings would be to affirm by judicial decision a manifest neglect, if not an open defiance of the prohibitions of the Constitution, intended for the protection of the people against such unauthorized action."

It was with Mapp v Ohio in 1961 that the exclusionary rule was extended to state criminal prosecutions and illegally obtained evidence, again with the mention of "judicial integrity." Mapp was follwed by People v Owens and, in 2000's Dickerson v United States the court said that evidence could be excluded as a matter of supervisory power.

In McNabb v United States, the court held that evidence obtained illegally should not be allowed, as it violated the "fundamental principles of liberty and justice," and the court based their decision in that case not on constitutional grounds but on the supervisory power of the court. Elkins v United States likewise used "supervisory powers of the court" to exclude evidence.

Common law allowed the introduction of illegally obtained evidence for purposes of divorce actions when adultery was a crime and the only means to dissolve a marriage was to prove adultery, and generally the only way to prove adultery was to obtain evidence through illegal means. This is no longer the case. In response to the changing divorce laws in the 1960s, several courts applied the exclusionary rule in their divorce actions, excluding any evidence obtained by illegal means. (for examples, see Del Presto v Del Presto, New Jersey, 1966; Williams v Williams, Ohio, 1966; Sackler v Sackler, New York, 1962).

From the dissent in Sackler: "It is a strange concept which would permit a court of law to encourage the commission of illegal acts by honoring the fruits of the illegality, and which would permit the perpetrator to win a lawsuit by deliberately violating the law."

Courts, in other words, have long recognized that judicial integrity is compromised with the introduction of illegally obtained material into evidence. With the availability of civil discovery where material can be obtained through legal means, and with no-fault divorces, there is less need for the admittance of such evidence.

As Ruth Bader Ginsburg said (quoting Elkins): "Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence."

Last edited:

quincy

Now, with all of that said :), photos introduced as evidence must be relevant to the issues of the case and verified for authenticity. Original images should be recorded in an unaltered form.

Under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the definition of a computer is: "An electronic, magnetic, optical, electrochemical, or other high speed data processing device performing logical, arithmetic, or storage functions, and includes any data storage facility or communications facility directly related to or operating in conjunction with such a device..." Most states use the same or a similar definition in their computer crime statutes.

The definition provided by the CFAA was deliberately left broad to accommodate advancing technology. It has already been held that the iPhone is a computer for purposes of the Act, and most digital cameras have electronic and optical elements, data storage, and many can run software. They, therefore, could fall under state computer crime laws, as well. Violating a state computer crime law in order to obtain evidence makes that evidence subject to exclusion.

Here are some other cases (among many) to review, where evidence was excluded because it was obtained in violation of a law:

Mingo v Roadway Express Inc, Illinois, 2001 (exclusionary provision in Illinois tape recording law)

One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, 1965 (civil forfeiture cannot apply when evidence used to invoke it was obtained illegally)

Lava Records v Amurao, New York, 2008 (where evidence obtained was obtained by an unlicensed private investigator, in violation of New York law)

In addition to having evidence excluded if it is obtained illegally, anyone whose rights have been violated in the obtaining of the evidence (ie. privacy invaded) can bring civil or criminal actions against the person who violated the law in order to obtain it.

And, applebuilder, I am glad you do not intend to break any laws in order to get your photo. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">