• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canada/US Trademark?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GRP

About 10 years ago I had an idea for a business. I found out there was a similar business with the name I wanted. I called a patent/trademark lawyer and he told me it wouldn't work. He said I'd get sued and I'd lose. :(

I just noticed yesterday that there is a new company with the same name doing what I originally wanted to do. Looks like the old company is gone.

This new company is in Canada. I found their Canadian trademark, but not a U.S. trademark.

If they don't have a trademark in the U.S. and don't do business here, could I trademark the same name for the same type business?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. :D

FlyingRon

If they are doing business in the US, they most likely have some level of US trademark rights. Trademark rights originate in use in commerce, not just registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">