• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership Trademark Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shwamin88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I recently started a car dealership and just got around to registering the trademark for the name of my company. As I am registering my domains I noticed that another much larger dealership in Texas is currently doing business as my trademark and I'm kind of lost as to what action I should take from here. I mean this is pretty intimidating and I dont have much resources to legally attack this company.

I guess my ultimate question is whats the next few steps of action to take to handle this.

FlyingRon

Well you have to figure out if you have any priority in your claim. Were you using the mark before they were? Are your markets sufficiently close that there is a likelihood of confusion. What sort of trademark are we talking about (is it the name of the business or just some other mark)? The first step is always a letter asserting that they are infringing and demanding they stop. Of course, you darned well better be sure you're not the infringing party.

shwamin88

I have the EXACT same dealship name. Im not too sure who has been using the name longer but they by far do more business and much more well known. I just happen to have the name trademarked. They just rolled out a HUGE advertising/branding campaign around the nation. It looks like there would be no way they would just drop their name even though I own the exact name on every car/advertisement

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">