• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Celebrity names and images on t-shrits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.81

Hi,

I am starting a t-shirt website and I am wondering where the law stands on printing a celebrity (their face, for example) and possibly their name on a t-shirt.

Just to give you a better idea of what I mean; I have a friend who is an artist and could draw Michael Jackon's face and then I could put it on a tee - would this be breaking the law?

I know you see street artists selling their drawings of celebrities all the time, but this doesn't necessarily make it legal. So, if someone could clear this up for me, that'd be great.

Thank you for you time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Hi,

I am starting a t-shirt website and I am wondering where the law stands on printing a celebrity (their face, for example) and possibly their name on a t-shirt.

Just to give you a better idea of what I mean; I have a friend who is an artist and could draw Michael Jackon's face and then I could put it on a tee - would this be breaking the law?

I know you see street artists selling their drawings of celebrities all the time, but this doesn't necessarily make it legal. So, if someone could clear this up for me, that'd be great.

Thank you for you time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: yes it would be illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">