• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clips of sport events for news

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wagonman

I live in Indiana and my question is concerning using footage in news programs.

What are the legal requirements that news organizations must follow in order to show clips of sporting events in their programs?

To make this more specific, I am considering starting on online sports commentary show and I am working on the format. I would like to know what are the legal issues with showing clips from sporting events during these programs. Do media outlets need to obtain permission from the source in order to use these clips? If permission is needed are there specific ways to go about obtaining this permission?

Thank you for your responses!

Last edited:

TigerD

For starters, those clips are paid for - either by sending their own camera team out or by joining a network that makes content available to members.

You can ask the media stations to use their clips - but I would expect a quick no.

DC

wagonman

I assumed that they were paid for or filmed by the outlet's own crew. I'm just doing research and I'm looking for any relevant information I can find.

You said, "for starters" and that makes me think there's more. I'm looking for legal restrictions (aside from paying for the clips) regarding obtaining and using clips. If paying for it is the answer, then thank you very much for your reply and if there's more, then thank you very much for your future replies. :)

If anyone knows a better place to do research on this type of project, I'd really appreciate that advice as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">