• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial use of breaking news

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mani

What is the name of your state? IL

I thought I will create a web site with breaking news in sports with the latest scores of a live match. Will it infringe any copyrights? I intend adding my own commentary, so there will be a registration fee for the users.

Appreciate your thoughts!

JETX

Based solely on the information in your post, you shouldn't have a problem.... as long as:
1) you do not use any of the audio or video from the copyright holder, and
2) all of your content is original.

C

ChicagoLawyer

I assume your company will sign up with a sports score line service for your in-game updates. As such, you would be bound by your license agreement with that information provider.

If, however, you are going to just watch and recant, for instance, ESPN.com or another such entity's information, you may be setting yourself up for trouble, as their license agreements prohibit that in commercial settings.

Your added commentary is certainly not an issue, it is what you do and how you treat the root information, how you disseminate that and how you obtain it that are the questions. That information may be covered by copyright, so you could infringe. Will depend on the specifics of your business plan and information procurement systems. Way to factually complex to answer in the abstract. Find someone to help.

JETX

With all due respect, I disagree that 'recanting(??)' a broadcasted report (even a copyright one) using your own words and own commentary could be violating the copyright. If that were true, every 'water cooler' conversation on Monday after the game would be subject to litigation.

If I sit in the stadium and retell what is happening to a friend on the phone, is that violation of copyright? Clearly no (and no copyright exists).
If I sit at home and retell what I see on the screen, again no copyright violation.
If I sit at the office and type what I just overheard about the game, again, no violation.
If I am a sportscaster on FOX and NBC has the broadcast rights to the Olympics, is it copyright violation for me to broadcast the winning hocky score without permission, yes. Is it a violation for me to announce the winner or standings, no.

The issue is... you cannot use any copyright CONTENT. If you don't use the copyrighted video, audio, text, etc., then you are not in violation.

Last edited:
C

ChicagoLawyer

ThaT is exactly the point and why I focussed on where he was getting the content. His content provider will have a license agreement or a terms of use and he must abide by it.

I agree with what you say, that he cannot use someone else's copyrighted content without permission.

M

mani

Thanks guys. Let me clarify where I will get the content (didn't mean to be cryptic, just wanted to be concise).

* Initially I would get the scores off the television (typically from Pay Per View channels)

* Subsequently, would hire people to call in from stadiums with the scores - may be even send emails.

Even though I pay to view an event, I thought it could also be construed as news and hence my title about breaking news.

I don't intend using any image or audio that could be copyrighted - not even the logo of the sport event.

Thanks again.

M

mani

Any updates?
1) Can I get the scores off a pay per view channel and post them? or
2) Can someone sitting at a game email or instant message me the scores which can be posted?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">