• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated concept: unsure how to secure my logo/symbol.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dilseroy

*lives in PA
I created a logo/symbol (not sharing it here) which represents my initials, the name of the business I'm pre-planning, and most importantly, succinctly represents the philosophy of Nihilism which positively transformed my life. It is also extremely (extremely!) simple, yet google's image-based search revealed only vaguely similar figures. I understand this may be hard to believe, and I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable releasing it yet.

I want to draw it everywhere, associate it with myself, and share it with like minds for their free use in association with Nihilism, but also want it to be secured for my use when I initiate my commercial business. Should I copyright it and somehow transfer it to trademark when my business is ready? Can I trademark it by providing a faux picture of it on a not-yet realized specimen? Or should I just explain it on my blog as proof-enough that I created it, and assume that I can still use it as my logo if it becomes very popular?

Thank you very much for any advice! I look forward to sharing it once I've made and acted on a decision.

quincy

*lives in PA
I created a logo/symbol (not sharing it here) which represents my initials, the name of the business I'm pre-planning, and most importantly, succinctly represents the philosophy of Nihilism which positively transformed my life. It is also extremely (extremely!) simple, yet google's image-based search revealed only vaguely similar figures. I understand this may be hard to believe, and I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable releasing it yet.

I want to draw it everywhere, associate it with myself, and share it with like minds for their free use in association with Nihilism, but also want it to be secured for my use when I initiate my commercial business. Should I copyright it and somehow transfer it to trademark when my business is ready? Can I trademark it by providing a faux picture of it on a not-yet realized specimen? Or should I just explain it on my blog as proof-enough that I created it, and assume that I can still use it as my logo if it becomes very popular?

Thank you very much for any advice! I look forward to sharing it once I've made and acted on a decision.
Trademark rights arise through the use of a trademark in commerce, as an identifier for a business, product or service. A logo on its own will not be protected under trademark law.

It is potentially possible to register a copyright in your logo design, if it is original and creative enough. A "letter-based" logo may not meet the minimum amount of creativity and orginality necessary for registration, however. It depends on your design.

If you plan on using this logo to identify your commercial business, you will not want to allow everyone to freely use your logo. It should be used strictly as an identifier for your business, its products and its services.

You may wish to do a little bit of reading up on copyright law and trademark law for a better understanding: http://www.copyright.gov and http://www.uspto.gov.

Good luck.

(simple and sweet, tranq! - you beat me to it :))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">