• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concert Photos on the Web

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LanaB

What is the name of your state? WVA

I am writing to ask a question for a friend.

Recently, he went to see a rock concert and took tons of pictures at the performance. The venue didn't have any rules about taking pictures and the performers never posted a notice that this wasn't allowed at the venue or mentioned NOT taking photos during the show (while hundreds of flash bulbs were going off).

Now, my friend is getting email messages from demanding that he remove the pictures from his website because he never got permission from the rockers to post them.

This can't be right? What's makes this really crazy is that my friend use to run the official website for these performers - now he run the same site in an unofficial capicity. I think this is a personal issue rather than the copyright or trademark issue that these performers keep harping on.

Any advice?

Last edited:

racer72

Remove the pictures or your friend will lose. The pictures taken by your friend were for personal use only, by placing them on the web he is placing them in a public forum. They do not have to place signs at the place of performance. But, the notification must come by cerified mail, an email is not considered an official notification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">