• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conned By Literary Agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackson9

I moved from Australia to Ohio 2 years ago. Prior to when I left Australia I had a literary agent (who "gave up her business") who had possession of a manuscript I wrote. Without permission, she sent the manuscript to an associate of hers in the US. I owed her a sum of $140US, which I paid over a month ago, as she said that if I did not pay her within a 72 hour period, I would not see my manuscript again. To date, it has been a month and I have not received my manuscript. I have called on several occasions and she will not release the information of her associate and will not attempt to follow this matter up to locate my manuscript. As I said, she sent it to someone without my authority and since I paid her money I did owe her for typing it, (which was also never done), I feel that she has cheated me and committed fraud by saying that these people have it when they may not. It does not take 4 weeks for a manuscript to be sent by US Mail across the US, and I want to take this action further and sue her for damages and future income loss that she has caused.

Any ideas and comments would be really appreciated.

J

jackson9

I did not keep a photocopy of the manuscript. I did, however, keep the receipt from when I paid her by western union. It is now April 1st. I paid her on February 22nd.

What should I do to order to be compensated for this?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">