• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contact by attorney demanding I remove my website/app.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

detz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

About two months ago I was contacted out of the blue by a lawyer saying that I was violating his client's trademark with my website/iphone app and that I needed to remove it. After some research I found out that they registered the name about two months before I released the app. I have two sites and a full application using this name..they have a patent and that's it. Anyway I didn't want to spend money on a trial so I agreed to take it down. After talking it over with the wife we decided to just change the name and put it back up since it was generating money. I changed the name from a one word name "iXXX" to "i XXX that". Fast forward and I got another letter today saying I'm still in violation and they're demanding I remove it now or they will take legal action. Their patent is for "iXXX" with no spaces, by changing the name to "i XXX that" am I safe? Is this worth putting up a stink about?

Mass_Shyster

Their patent is for "iXXX" with no spaces, by changing the name to "i XXX that" am I safe? Is this worth putting up a stink about?

You need to talk to an attorney to find out your likelihood of prevailing and the costs associated with the court battle. When you have that information, you will need to make a business decision to determine if it is worth putting up a stink about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">