• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convert Text from 51 year old manual to webpage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madlduke

I would like to know if I can convert text from a printed manual and display it on a website for completely non-profit educational purposes? Or would I need to obtain permission?
The manual was printed in 1962 by General Motors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to know if I can convert text from a printed manual and display it on a website for completely non-profit educational purposes? Or would I need to obtain permission?
The manual was printed in 1962 by General Motors.
US law only

(You will want to get permission.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP May not need permission. Copyright laws were different in 1962, and the manual may not be protected.

I'll make the leap of faith that OP is concerned about US copyright law.
I have seen large motor vehicle companies go after little guys for all sorts of reproductions.

Mass_Shyster

I have seen large motor vehicle companies go after little guys for all sorts of reproductions.
Have you seen a large motor vehicle company go after someone for a reproduction of a 1962 manual?

Did the reproduction violate copyright laws?

quincy

If the manual was published in 1962, and the copyright was never renewed or if the manual consists entirely of facts or if the manual lacked a proper copyright notice and the copyright was never restored, then it is possible the manual is in the public domain and can be used freely.

But that is from a copyright perspective.

If it is a General Motors manual, then I would be more concerned about the use of the manual with its GM trademark, and I would be concerned about the purpose behind the display of the manual on a website.

A non-profit educational website is not given a free ticket to use rights-protected material. Copyright law allows some "fair use" exceptions to use of copyrighted material for educational purposes, but these exceptions are limited. And there are some limited allowable uses of another's trademark.

But no use by anyone is (generally) immune from a rights-holder's lawsuit, should a rights-holder object to another's use of their material or mark.

More facts are needed (including the name of madlduke's state name, if in the U.S.).

Last edited:

madlduke

My state is Texas.

I could be wrong, but, as far as the trademark goes I don’t think I will be using it. I just want to display text from the manual. Not the manual itself. The text would be typed verbatim.

quincy

My state is Texas.

I could be wrong, but, as far as the trademark goes I don’t think I will be using it. I just want to display text from the manual. Not the manual itself. The text would be typed verbatim.
What do you mean by you don't think you will be using the GM trademark? You don't know what text you are using yet, or what is contained in the manual?

The thing with manuals is that much of the material written in the manual can be used in subsequent manuals, and the copyright in the material preserved in that way. The text that you intend to use, in other words, could appear in a GM manual now and be rights-protected. The facts can be lifted from the text, as facts are not copyrightable, but the way these facts are presented could very well still have some rights attached.

For those reasons, and others, I suggest you refer back to Zigner's post #2 and seek information from GM (or the publisher) on who, if anyone, owns rights to any original or creative text in the manual. Then discuss your intended use of the material either with the owner of the rights, or a professional in your area, to determine if your use can give rise to a lawsuit you could lose.

Again, what is also important is the PURPOSE of your use and how it can (if it can) be tied to GM, this if there are no lingering copyrights in the material or any use of the GM trademark on your website.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">