• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copying a license agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikestu

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am just about to release some software that I will be selling online, but I need a good license for the various types of application licenses that I will be sellling. I found another company that has EXACTLY what I need in their license agreement. If I copy their license agreement and just change the company name, can they come after me for copyright infringement? Basically, are license legal documents themselves copyrightable? Even if they are, how enforceable would it be?

I look forward to a response!

Mike

atozcom

It is simply amazing a person want to copy somebody's legal document, so this person can use this document to prevent somebody else to copy his own stuff!

JETX

Actually, using previously created legal documents as a basis (or 'go by') for creating new documents is very common.
There is no restriction to modifying their license to yours..... except you won't have the benefit of a legal understanding of the specifics of the document.

H

hexeliebe

sorry atozcom but JETX is right here. Most EULAs are exactly the same for a reason.

to the poster I would suggest finding a few online examples and using them as a template to draft your own. Of course, you could always just take one and change the name of the company and software but then you will probably not understand what the agreement means and could inadvertantly put in that everyone has the right to seel the product you produced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">