• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copying printed classifieds ads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omen2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I run a website where users can post (anonymous) free classified ads, apparently someone copied ads from local newspaper and I received an email from someone claiming to work for the newspaper asking to stop copying ads. The email account used for communication did not belong to the newspaper in question, it was a free email account from different country (ie. yahoo.de)

1. Someone must have purchased the newspaper in order to copy ads from it, are those ads copyrighted?
2. Ads were entered most likely by anonymous user, I do not track IP address.
3. No monies were made by displaying free ads by the website.
4. Assuming I will remove the ad(s), what proof do I need from the other party? I don't want to remove any ads because someone just asked for it.

Thank you

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If you're going to run a site that allows user content, you better learn about the DMCA provisions for sites getting safe harbor against claims (generally, you have to set up a reporting address, take down the alleged infringing material, report he user info to the reporter, etc...).

Google "OCILLA" for more information.

omen2010

FlyingRon

Thank you for the advise, I will post a complaint form on the website with option to upload attachments if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">