• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronfvol

I wrote a novel and have a copyright as of 1998. To sell it via Amazon.com they want me to agree to the following:" By entering into this Participation Agreement and listing an item, you grant Amazon.com and its affiliates a nonexclusive, worlwide,royalty-free, irrevocable right to exercise all copyright, trademark rights, and right of publicity over the material displayed in your listings (including storefronts) in any existing or future media, known or unknown, now or at any later date. This grant shall be limited to Amazon.com's and its affiliates' use of your materials in connection with the Site and the Services, which may include advertising and promotion for the Site and the Services. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the materials displayed in your lisings(including storefronts), and that the use of such materials by Amazon.com and its affiliates will not infringe upon or violate the rights of any third party." Am I correct in assuming that they can't take my Title and rewrite the book as their own? Thanks very much for the assist.

Ron Vollaro, Colonie, NY

S

StephenS

Intensions

What they legally and actually could or could not do upon signing the agreement as written is a topic for a lawyer however, what it seems their intensions are is to have total freedom to advertise and promote at their discretion without notifying you or obtaining permission on each incident. They further are trying to protect themselves from copyright infringement by making sure you have rights to all of the material.....

PS I havent' heard of a suit against Amazon for re writing a book yet. I think they are more in the business of distribution.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">