• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BHAKTI

from washington,

i have a small crafting business making dolls based on an original pattern designed by a woman who sells doll patterns and instructions. (i am assuming that the pattern in question is hers since she sold it at one time.) over the years i modified the original design and have created several other designs of my own to go with it. they are selling well, and the business is growing. the questions are: 1) do i need to get permission from the original designer to make and sell her doll even though it has been changed somewhat? 2) are the dolls i created using the original as inspiration considered 'derivative work' so that i would need her permission to sell them, also? the last know address of the original doll maker was the state of washington.

thanks for your help,
bhakti

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">