• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright All Rights Reserved - Web Designer donates then wants to charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nategrey

New York - Someone joined the staff of my website a few years ago. He invited a friend to make some layout modifications to one of the free Wordpress themes at no charge. It may be considered a donation.

The staff member is no longer a staff member. The Web Designer now wishes me to remove the layout or to pay for it.

Considering he donated his modification of a free wordpress theme, and the bottom of the website says copyright domainname All rights reserved -- can he really come out of the blue a few years later asking to be paid just because his friend is no longer in the staff?

FlyingRon

The copyright notation is by and large meaningless today.

If he was working for YOU as an employee he has no rights to stuff he did during his job.

If he was a contractor or he took work of others, you may have a more stickier issue.

quincy

FlyingRon, Nategrey has a recent thread in this section of the forum. Reading through it can be informative.

Nategrey, the background information you provided in your earlier thread is important to understanding your question here, and jumping from one thread to another makes it difficult on the volunteers here.

I suggest you stick to your first thread and add any additional questions there. You can let this thread die a natural death by not posting to it any more. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">