• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright choral music CD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GB2112

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've produced a CD of previously unrecorded sacred choral hymns, none of which were composed or arranged by me. I obtained written permission from each composer/arranger to record his/her work, formed a choir of 14 people, and professionally recorded 10 pieces of music. Royalty contracts are in place.

Is it appropriate/recommended/necessary for me to copyright the CD, and if so, how would I go about it?

Thanks so much!

FlyingRon

Sorry, I seem to have missed this post (and so has the rest of us).

The songs were copyright as soon as the author expressed them in tangible form (either recorded or written down, etc...). You had copyright on the compilation as soon as you made the CD master.

Now the question is whether it's worth it to REGISTER the copyright. That you'll have to decide. You can register it later if you wish, it depends on just what the nature of the distribution of this material is.

Another thing to make sure is that you make sure that any works that are protected by copyright (i.e., not hymns that predate 1923 which would be in the public domain) you have permission before (permission by the arranger is NOT sufficient). Further your songwriters should know that by virtue of you producing CDs for sale, they open themselves up to implicit consent of statutory royalties by anybody else who choses to make records of these songs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">