• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

automd

copyright infringement

What is the name of your state? Oregon,
I was contracted by a radio station to host a weekly program, which I did and was paid quite well for about 17 years. The last year I was asked to write helpful hints for my link on the stations website. I was told they were mine, never paid for them and in fact, it was optional to do the hints as the station made it clear that they wouldn't compensate for the additional work. The show was a part time gig as I've owned and operated my own shop for over 21 years. My daughter turned 5 and I decided I wanted my Saturday's back for her so I've been off the air for two years (Oh, on others advice I even registered the name of the show in my name 17 years ago- "The Auto Doctor"). I left on good terms and other stations have expressed interest in me and since the show was fairly popular, I'm sure they want me to use my registered name The Auto Doctor since I was on the air for almost 17 years. Out of curiosity, I did a search on my surname through MSN and four of my articles on maintanence are listed on a nationally known auto repair franchise. This is a company that I wouldn't even considered having my names associated with- both surname and at the bottem of my articles it says "courtesy of the auto doctor and lists the website of the station I was on. In 17 years, I spoke about or was a spokesman (advertising) for 3 products as I had full right of refusal as to who or what they wanted advertised. If I didn't use it or didn't like it, I would not talk about that product- what I'm saying is that I watched my image carefully and I believe in integrity. By the way, the pay for a 60 second spot, depending on the duration the client wanted to run it was anywhere from 60.00 to 150.00 everytime I read it, so I turned down a lot of money to maintain my integrity; additionally, I was only one of three on the air that was not in the union. I'm curious how it can say courtesy of The Auto Doctor when I had no knowledge that my articles were being used. I have owned my own facility for 21 years and their website suggests that I'm one of their experts or that I work for them. Upon searching their locations, this company doesn't have an Oregon location and I doubt the station sold my rights (articles) to them as this station is Local. According to how I read the law on copyright, they stole or are using my articles for their gain which is illegal-Do I have recourse for them using my name? Is there someone who can shed some light on this subject because I even read that the fine for this is 10,000 per incident plus possible defamation of character. I know cars just not the law....

Help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">