• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Infringement P2P Download. Do I pay the fee? (GA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j12345

Recently I got caught for torrenting some files through my university internet. I received the following email that was forwarded to me through them. If I go and pay the fee will that be the end of it or will there be more to come, will anything happen if I don't do anything?
Any help is appreciated and I'm done torrenting for forever so don't tell me to stop because I'm already done. The email reads as follows:

I have seen people with this email posting on the forum here before, but have not seen how their case played out and what ended up happening.
I am in Georgia and based on the email I believe they are in California.
The email I received reads as follows:

CEG TEK International ("We") represent xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx owns all right, title and interest, including copyrights, in and to the work listed below. (Some individuals may find certain words in titles of works to be offensive. We apologize in advance if this is the case.)

This notice is intended solely for the primary Georgia Institute of Technology internet service account holder. Someone using this account has engaged in the unauthorized copying and/or distribution of the work listed below.

Evidence:
Work Title: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright Owner: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unauthorized File Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unauthorized Hash: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unauthorized File Size: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unauthorized Protocol: BitTorrent
Timestamp: 2013-03-07 20:14:16 North American Eastern Time
Unauthorized IP Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unauthorized Port: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The following files were included in the unauthorized copying and/or distribution:
File 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are hereby notified that unauthorized copying and/or distribution of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Work is a violation of the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 106. In this regard, request is hereby made that you and all persons using this account immediately and permanently cease and desist the unauthorized copying and/or distribution of the registered copyrights listed in this notice or otherwise owned by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

You may also be held liable for monetary damages, including court costs and/or attorney fees if a lawsuit is commenced against you. You have until Sunday, April 7, 2013 to access the settlement offer and settle online. To access the settlement offer, please visithttps://www.copyrightsettlements.com/ and enter Case #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. To access the settlement offer directly, please visit https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/?u=P27869907&p=siyuc

Settlement Information:
Direct Settlement Link: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Settlement Website: https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/
Case #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you fail to respond or settle within the prescribed time period, the claim(s) will be referred to our attorneys for legal action. At that point the original settlement offer will no longer be an option and the amount will increase as a result of us having to involve our attorneys.

Nothing contained or omitted from this correspondence is, or shall be deemed to be either a full statement of the facts or applicable law, an admission of any fact, or waiver or limitation of any of the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rights or remedies, all of which are specifically retained and reserved.

The information in this notice is accurate. We have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of herein is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law. We declare under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized to act on behalf of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,

Legal Counsel

CEG TEK International
8484 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 220
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

j12345, because you have read the threads posted to this forum about copyright infringement notices from CEG TEK International, you are aware of the advice that has been offered already, so there is no need to repeat it here. The advice to you will be no different than the advice offered others.

The main advice is, and has been in all of the threads started on this forum about copyright infringement notices, to seek out the assistance of an attorney in your area. That is the way to get your specific concerns addressed and it is the best way to determine whether you would be wiser to pay the settlement amount demanded now, or wait to be sued and then handle the matter in court.

The reason thread-posters may not return to the site to inform others what happened in their case could be because nothing has happened yet. The posters may have decided to pay the settlement amount and may want to put the whole matter in their past, or they may have decided not to settle and are still waiting to be taken to court (where many will probably settle for more than the original demanded amount) or they may have been taken to court and the outcome was not favorable (ie, they don't feel like bragging about how the copyright trolls extorted funds from them with the blessing of a court ;)).

As to whether paying the settlement amount will end the matter for you, it depends on the facts. If more than one copyrighted file was infringed and/or the files were owned by more than one copyright holder, you can get an infringement notice and demand from each of them.

Again, seek the advice of an attorney in your area, who can review the demand letter, make sure it is legitimate and the demand is being made by an entity with standing to sue, and that the copyrighted work was registered in a timely fashion. The attorney can help you protect your interests.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">