• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Infringement - Source Code physically stolen - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IQuestionGuy

This applies to California

Long story short; I wrote a software program and I want to enforce copyright because someone is using the software without my permission and without any license.

The problem is my source code was physically stolen with my laptop and I have a police report. So now I cant register the copyright as I no longer have the source code! From everything I read I need to register copyright before I can file a suit.

What do I do? :(

FlyingRon

You're confused.

You had copyright from the time you typed that program in.
You can still register it.
You don't have to deposit the work to register it as an unpublished work.

Of course, you'll have to show in your civil proceeding by a preponderance of the evidence that the work is yours. Who has the laptop now and how did they come to possess it? Something more than meets the eye is going on here, and it's hard for us to venture an opinion when you're being reclusive.
See a lawyer that's bound by confidentiality if you don't want to disclose things publicly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">