• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright issues with multimedia products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LawGurl

Does anyone know of any copyright issues that will not arise in the use of a multimedia product?

Thanks

LawGurl

H

hexeliebe

no, because you haven't specified what multimedia product. Is it a software product, a piece of music, a slide presentation, movie or other?

Without any more information you won't get a decent answer.

L

LawGurl

opps sorry about that, it's just out of curiosity, so it could be in any form of multimedia.

Although software is what im more curious about.

So if you could give me any it would be great,

Thanks again

LawGurl

H

hexeliebe

Still, there could be several issues. Even with software products.

For example, you could use a product like Microsoft Producer to encode, edit and produce your home videos without problem. However, if you put background music on the completed project and sell it you would be in violation of copyright laws.

If you use a software product to copy protected content such as a DVD (unless you are the owner of the DVD) then you could be held in violation of federal anti-pirating laws and copyright (unless you do so for legitimate backup)...

If you use Kaaza to download music from the internet then you are in violation of copyright laws.

yada, yada, yada...

see, we need the specific situation and software before being able to give a legitimate answer.

L

LawGurl

thanks for that, see i have an upcoming test and I'm doing study for it and we have been told to know some issues in use of a multimedia product that may not arise. We weren't given any specific products just that general outlay of what we should be study for.

So thanks for that, it gave me a bit of a better understanding of what it could be.

LawGurl

H

hexeliebe

O.K. then here's something no one may think of (I want brownie points for it)...

If you are using a licensed product which encodes video and audio, all codecs used to perform the encodes must also be licensed. DivXx 5 is a third-party codec that must be licensed outside the general licensing provisions of all software.

L

LawGurl

hehe thanks, i'll let you know how i go after the test :p hehe thank you again.

FireGurl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">