• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright issues: naming a new business inspired by a fictional character's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

erikawithak

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? i'm from california. my best friend and i would like to name our new jewelry company "tommy & anika", inspired by 2 of the fictional characters from the astrid lindgren book "pippi longstocking." the book was first published in 1946 by raben & sjogren, in stockholm. the author is from sweden, and the book has been translated. i've changed the spelling they use in the english version from "annika" to "anika", and not included the last names. with the exception of each other, those who've heard our name idea haven't made any connection to the book. i know of instances when fictional characters names have been used before as band names like "veruca salt" (from charlie and the chocolate factory), and "belle and sebastian" the character names and SHOW name of a 1980's cartoon series. do you think it would be ok to use our name? please let me know, because we really love this name idea, and thank you for the help.

O

onetabbykat

love the name for the company...as far as i can see, i don't see any problems with you using that name...as far as i know, names such as first names are ok to use...i don't think they can be copywrited...i mean anyone can be tommy...anyone can be anika...could be yours and your friends names for all we know...but names such as tommy hillfiger, or christian dior...where it states first and last names...those you can not use...i love the name you have chosen, it's great...

E

erikawithak

thanks

thanks. it sounds hopeful. i really like the name. my goldfish are named tommy and anika, actually, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">