• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Laws and Public Domain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BioFall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a question concerning how copyrighting with manuals, operating manuals etc. work, from the research I have done they are the exact same as other books, right?

Also I am trying to figure out when a copyright expires/ becomes public domain. I have read where anything before 1978 that does not have a copyright on it can become Public Domain, I'm I right?

I'm not to well knowledge in copyright laws.

FlyingRon

There's no substantial difference between a book and an owner's manual in the eyes of copyright law.

A work that is PUBLISHED is the US before 1978 without copyright notice is in the public domain. However, for manuals you may trip over the definition of he word published depending on how the nature of the manual.

BioFall

Thanks for the quick response a couple more questions
manuals you may trip over the definition of he word published depending on how the nature of the manual.
What exactly do you mean by this?

and

If someone did own an actual paper manual would it be illigal to also have a digital form to. (assuming the owner does not give away copies or sell the original paper one)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">