• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright laws of Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mchen25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I've recently found a Research Paper by NASA that I wanted to include on my website. What would I have to do in order to do so?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I've recently found a Research Paper by NASA that I wanted to include on my website. What would I have to do in order to do so?
You should contact the author/copyright holder for permission to use it.

Here are two links that can perhaps help you, the first to NASA's Basic Guide to Copyright and the second to NASA's Multimedia Guidelines.

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/basicguide_copyright/

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines

Last edited:

Mchen25

Research Paper

Would a research paper, like the ones you do for the science fair, go under multimedia?

Mchen25

It depends on how the research paper is presented but copyrights would exist in the same way, regardless of the medium.
On the copyright.gov website, it says:
"Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."
So if I'm just paraphrasing the results of an experiment in my own words, and mention it's by NASA, would that be okay?

quincy

On the copyright.gov website, it says:
"Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."
So if I'm just paraphrasing the results of an experiment in my own words, and mention it's by NASA, would that be okay?
Paraphrasing must be done carefully so that the copyrighted material is not infringed and so that the paraphrase accurately represents what has been said by the material's original author. Using too much of an author's work or misrepresenting what an author has said in his work can attract the attention of attorneys representing an author.

You would be smart to have the specific works you wish to use reviewed personally by an IP professional in your area or contact the copyright holders directly to ask for permission to use the works.

What you are proposing seems like it would not give rise to any legal action but specifics really matter in law - and it will be the specifics in your situation that will either keep you safe from a lawsuit or risk getting you sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">