• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright on Pics for a book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ikeroni

Texas

I was contacted by a publishing company in Singapore who wants to write about my art in one of thier books. They emailed me and asked for 8-12 pictures to which i own the copyright, and a description of how we do what we do. My question is, do I need to copyright the photos of my art, and then just grant them permission to use the pictures?

Also, should i patent my art, so no one else can create what i do?

Here is an idea of what i do:
Create on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hopefully you can help me see if i can tradmark the concept of it or what... I am at a lost and don't want to be taken advantage of, and like most artist, i am also starving and can't afford legal advice.

Thank you for your help!

FlyingRon

Your photos are already copyrighted. You can grant them rights on whatever terms you wish to negotiate. Both the US and Singapore are subject to the Berne convention so neither can add additional restrictions on you being extended copyright. On the other hand, REGISTRATION may be advisable.

As for the patent, you may or may not qualify for this. The process needs to be novel. Frankly, other than the use of words, I see no novelty here. There are a number of artists who have been making folded page sculptures for a while now. If you are going to assert the novelty of the words, hopefully you have not been showing these in public for more than a year. Otherwise you also lose the novelty part of the patent requirements.

Patents aren't a DIY thing anyhow. Frankly getting an IP lawyer to look at your copyright assignment/license and patent issues would be advisable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">