• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diceman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I currently run a back gammon team (on Line) in a site based in Maryland which is a non profit making organisation.
The site has a sea going theme and the "rooms" used to play in are linked to sea activities. However the leage rooms are not and that is where our team are based.
I wish to create a theme for the room using royalty free clipart of Popeye an Olive Oyle ( only 1 piece of each ) and no mention of this will be made in writing anywhereon the web site. We are only using the clipart to represent the gaming table.

No merchandise will be made or distributed it is purely for a different look to our room over the others.

Can we do this without infringing any copyright issues

The Occultist

Popeye is still both protected under copyright AND trademark law by King Features if I'm not mistaken. I say don't do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">