• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike519

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I currently have a forum to discuss things about video game characters, comic book characters and movie characters. It has gained quite a following. Currently I make no money off of these discussions and forums from my members. It is beginning to cost me quite a bit and I would like to start charging for my service. There will not be anything being sold other than space on a website. My issue is in discussing these characters can I get into trouble if I begin to turn a profit?? Thanks in advance.

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I currently have a forum to discuss things about video game characters, comic book characters and movie characters. It has gained quite a following. Currently I make no money off of these discussions and forums from my members. It is beginning to cost me quite a bit and I would like to start charging for my service. There will not be anything being sold other than space on a website. My issue is in discussing these characters can I get into trouble if I begin to turn a profit?? Thanks in advance.
If you are not currently infringing anyone's trademarks, copyrights, or other rights, then making money on the site won't change that.

mike519

Thank you for the reply. That is what I thought as well, a partner was arguing with me over that point. So I wanted to get some clarification. I didn't think there was every anything wrong with showing say a picture of batman as long as I wasn't making money off that picture, and I gave credit to it's maker. The discussions is all I'm marketing not characters or tshirts or any other such items. I am just wanting to some advertising to the web page and put up a donations area. Thank you

divgradcurl

I didn't think there was every anything wrong with showing say a picture of batman as long as I wasn't making money off that picture
Well, unless you own the picture or otherwise have the right to use the picture, then your use of the picture could be infringing on the owner's rights. It doesn't matter if you make money on the picture or not -- if you don't have permission to use it, you could be liable for infringement.

and I gave credit to it's maker
"Giving credit" is irrelevant. If you don't have permission to use the picture, and the owner of the picture takes issue with your use, then the fact that you "gave credit" will have no bearing on your liability for infringement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">