• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright, quotations and patent issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nesswild

What is the name of your state? I am from the UK

Ok, this is my 'problem' that I desperately need advice on please - anyone? Basically I have come across a alternative 'cure' for a worldwide skin disease and I have spearheaded an experiment for many months now via an enclosed forum involving sufferers (including myself) of this disease. Basically it is cured by nutritional means only, but so far no dermatologists know this or how successful a treatment it is. Instead they rake in thousands of dollars/pounds a day using ineffective treatments that can actually worsen this problem, basically cashing in on peoples' misery. So far, during my experiment, the sufferers worldwide are thrilled about my theory using a little-known nutrient and the success rate is over 60% at least, and recovery rate is slow but sure, but above all safe and permanent. The nutrient is non-toxic and has few minor side-effects.

I have bravely written a book about my findings (despite the criticism that this will no doubt incite from the professional dermatology world) which I intend to sell via my new website in the autumn (fall), in order to help many others who don't know how simple the potential solution to this horrible disease is.

My issues lie with a professor who owns the patent rights to two trademarks that I have mentioned in relation to this nutrient throughout the book. The reason that I have had to cite the trademarks is because a good brand matters and the good ones have the stamps on the bottle, and that is what gets results. The brands without the stamps don't work as effectively, if at all. I have purposely not mentioned the numerous brand names who sell this nutrient as I figured I could be opening a whole new can of worms so to speak, but I could not get round the trademark issue. However, no-one owns the rights to writing about the nutrient generically I am sure. That would be tantamount to not being able to write about eg: plain old vitamin C surely? So my question is this: do I have to contact this professor for permission to cite his patented trademarks or not? If so, would I have to tell him of my findings which I hold close to my heart - naturally because of all my hard work in recent months and I am afraid of all my hard work being snatched from under my nose by the big boys - as can and has happened before no doubt in other situations. Or would it be suffice to acknowledge the professor in my acknowledgements section of my book/site? If so, how do I do this? I have also, in a short paragraph re the history of this nutrient, tentatively used a brief six-sentence quote about the professor, his research of the nutrient and how he owns the patenting rights. This was found on a website. Does this require permission also? If so, from whom? The website I read it on and/or the professor who was quoted? I may delete this section if it means less of a headache to myself but it is kind of important.

I have also gained permission via e-mail from every single woman/man involved who have willingly sent me progress reports/photos to quote/use in my book in the testimonials section in order to provide proof and encouragement to all newcomers to this therapy - it's hard evidence at the end of teh day and naturally forms a large section of my book. Is their permission worth the paper it could be printed off on? Could there be a bad apple in the group who would want to sue me somewhere down the line? If so, do you advise that I use their initials only, despite the fact that most have given me permission to quote them by their christian names and country only?

My disclaimer section in both the book and on the site is as long as my arm and covers me in all areas, yet I will probably get it looked at by a solicitor regardless. Just some sound advice asap about all this would be great and much appreciated by anyone. Then I can get on with announcing my findings before someone else poaches it - time is of the essence! BTW, I am not a doctor, nutritional therapist or other, just a woman with a sound self-taught knowledge about nutritional therapy and it's benefits and who intends to sell the book via the website on a self-help or general consumer understanding basis and the disclaimer covers all that.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me to get rid of my headache! Much appreciated!

Ness :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">