• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright submission question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flewggle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

About 2 months ago I applied a copyright for a wood product I designed, manufacture and sell on the internet. I've never applied for a copyright and I don't think I submitted enough information. I'd like to submit more data. Is there a way to do that?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

About 2 months ago I applied a copyright for a wood product I designed, manufacture and sell on the internet. I've never applied for a copyright and I don't think I submitted enough information. I'd like to submit more data. Is there a way to do that?
Your wood product design, if original and creative enough, is automatically protected under copyright laws. You do not need to register it to have this protection.

What data did you not submit that you now think is necessary?

flewggle

I only submitted the front, top and isometric views of the assembly drawing. I didnt submit any pictures or dimensioned detail drawings of the individual components. Also I make different sizes and colors of my wood product. I don't know if I'm required to copyright every different size or color or variation of the product I make, or if I'm to include drawings and pictures on every different size and color on a single copyright. Am I covered for every variation of my product? I'm not sure what information Im supposed to supply in the copyright.

Thanks for replying to my question.

quincy

I only submitted the front, top and isometric views of the assembly drawing. I didnt submit any pictures or dimensioned detail drawings of the individual components. Also I make different sizes and colors of my wood product. I don't know if I'm required to copyright every different size or color or variation of the product I make, or if I'm to include drawings and pictures on every different size and color on a single copyright. Am I covered for every variation of my product? I'm not sure what information Im supposed to supply in the copyright.

Thanks for replying to my question.
Okay. If the Copyright Office has found that what you have submitted is clearly incomplete, your application form will be sent back to you and the Copyright Office will let you know how to correct your application.

If your registration has been accepted and your product design has been registered with the Office, and you have left out information, you can file a supplemental registration using Form CA. The second link I provided above tells you how to do this and the third link is to a downloadable form.

If the product designs you created are different, you need to register these as derivative works. Derivative works are modifications of previously created works.

The US Copyright Office requires copies or images of your design with your application and, if these were not included with your original application, your application will probably be returned for correction/additions. The two-dimensional photographs of your three-dimensional wood designs should be accurate depictions of your works.

For help with your application, the US Copyright Office provides assistance. http://www.copyright.gov

Good luck, flewggle.

Last edited:

flewggle

I make a 3 foot model, a 4 foot model, 5 foot model... etc. One might be red, One might be blue....etc. To me they are all the exact same design, just bigger or different colors or both. From what I've read about copyrights I thought that if I filed for copyright on a 3 foot/red model, that I would be protected from someone manufacturing a 4 foot/blue model at a later time. That the 4 foot/blue model would be a derivative of my original design.

quincy

I make a 3 foot model, a 4 foot model, 5 foot model... etc. One might be red, One might be blue....etc. To me they are all the exact same design, just bigger or different colors or both. From what I've read about copyrights I thought that if I filed for copyright on a 3 foot/red model, that I would be protected from someone manufacturing a 4 foot/blue model at a later time. That the 4 foot/blue model would be a derivative of my original design.
If you want to register a single design, then one application is sufficient. That design is protected from infringers.

If you have a single design and you modify this design by adding additional elements to it, that is considered a derivative and you would want to register that separately.

Creating derivatives of your copyright-protected design is one of the exclusive rights you hold as a copyright owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">