• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright or trademark infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joanmk119

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am planning to open a physical store where I sell designer replica handbags and accesories. I was planning to post at least one if not several disclaimers stating that none of the articles are originals and the bags and such are for entertainment purposes only and that we are not associated in any way with Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci etc. I have read online that this is still illegal yet the online stores seem not to be in any jeopardy. Will the disclaimer protect me from prosecution? If not, is there anything that will?

Some Random Guy

What protects the online stores is a lack of police resources.

They would have to track down the web site location, find the owners, verify that the goods are not legit, find the goods, etc.

What you are proposing with your store is a one-stop shop for instant police success.
1. Known location
2. Known business hours when people will be there to arrest.
3. Big stock of inventory to sieze
4. Admission that you are infringing (your disclaimer)
5. Physical street address to tell the reports to go to so they can publicize their bust.

FlyingRon

Nope, there is nothing you can do to make what you are doing legal nor protect you against prosecution. The big names go after all the online outlets they can reach conveninently as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">