• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright of translated movies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pasak

What is the name of your state? Utah

I understand the copyright laws that protects the copying of movies and tv shows and sharing them with your friends. My question is what if a movie or tvshow is dubbed in a different language, a language that is not available for sale in the U.S. and your friends want to copy this movie or tv show. Is this still protected under copyright laws?

divgradcurl

pasak said:
What is the name of your state? Utah

I understand the copyright laws that protects the copying of movies and tv shows and sharing them with your friends. My question is what if a movie or tvshow is dubbed in a different language, a language that is not available for sale in the U.S. and your friends want to copy this movie or tv show. Is this still protected under copyright laws?
It's not really clear what you are asking here -- where does the "dubbed in a different language TV show" come from?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, are you talking about buying (or copying) anime from Japan that has been dubbed into English, not by the copyright owner but by fans? If so, that stuff is clearly infringing copyright. The fact that the copyright owner hasn't, or doesn't want, to make their shows available in English does NOT mean that you have the right to circumvent their rights under copyright laws so that you can watch the shows.

Last edited:

pasak

No, My question is this: I have movies and t.v. shows dubbed in Czech Like the simpsons, friends and south park that I bought in the czech republic. My czech friends want to copy them since they can't buy anything here in the states that is dubbed in czech. none is in english. Would copying these shows be a violation of copyright laws?

divgradcurl

pasak said:
No, My question is this: I have movies and t.v. shows dubbed in Czech Like the simpsons, friends and south park that I bought in the czech republic. My czech friends want to copy them since they can't buy anything here in the states that is dubbed in czech. none is in english. Would copying these shows be a violation of copyright laws?
Technically, yes it would be a violation of copyright -- but from a practical standpoint, if you are only making the one copy for your friend, and are not going to be selling copies on eBay or giving out dozens of copies, and you don't write a letter to the copyright owner telling them what you are doing, the chances of anyone finding out, or even caring if they do find out, is probably negligible. However, technically it is copyright infringement, so if you don't want that on your conscience, don't do it. I guess you could lend your friend the shows, and if HE copies them, well, that's not your fault -- and it is totally legal to lend or rent your legal copies of the show, so you wouldn't be breaking any laws...

pasak

divgradcurl said:
Technically, yes it would be a violation of copyright -- but from a practical standpoint, if you are only making the one copy for your friend, and are not going to be selling copies on eBay or giving out dozens of copies, and you don't write a letter to the copyright owner telling them what you are doing, the chances of anyone finding out, or even caring if they do find out, is probably negligible. However, technically it is copyright infringement, so if you don't want that on your conscience, don't do it. I guess you could lend your friend the shows, and if HE copies them, well, that's not your fault -- and it is totally legal to lend or rent your legal copies of the show, so you wouldn't be breaking any laws...

I think I'll be safe and lend it to them. that way I woulden't get into trouble. thank you for your fast reply and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">