• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright versus patent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adw

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I just read an article that stated a man won a Copyright Infringement lawsuit against Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart was selling a dress made for children that he had designed and sold via his small business.

So did this man have a copyright on the dress design and not a patent? I am confused by this because I thought copyrights were only for art, music, photos, etc.

I have a bag that I have designed and I thought I had to have a patent to protect it, but cannot afford to do that. Can I get a copyright on the design?

Thank you for your time, very helpful.

C

ChicagoLawyer

Designs, like for clothing and handbags, etc., can be copyrighted. Patent is for new and novel inventions. Now, if your handbag had a new and unique element to it, possibly you could patent it. Example, the zipper, its a piece of clothing, etc., but it was patented. Or, if you developed a new process for manufacture of the bags, that could be subject to patent protection. Trademark may be relevant too, for example, a logo splattered all over a bag, like Gucci does.

This response is intended as general information only and does not constitute as legal advice or form any attorney/client relationship

A

adw

Thank you ChicagoLawyer! You have been a great help to me! Thank you for your time and participating with this service!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">