• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Violation!! What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmnopqrs00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I recently tried to sell something on audio lessons on ebay that was copyrighted. I didn't know this was illegal. The listing was removed and no one bought anything.

They emailed me a letter saying something like this:

Sept, 15th, 2009
It has been brought to our attention that you have recently sold or attempted to sell or distribute illegally produced copies of Audiobooks owns the copyright to AudioLot. Production, sale, or even the purchase of illegally produced copyrighted materials is a violation of Federal law (a felony). If you used the U.S. mail to make the transaction you have violated federal law a second time. Besides being accompanied by heavy fines and a possible prison term.

Due to the great expense of court costs and other legal fees, we prefer to settle such violations out of court if possible. To avoid further legal action, you must pay us the full retail price of $199.95 for each time you purchased or sold our products illegally, agree in writing never to sell our product illegally again, and provide the names of the people you obtained the illegal product from and those to whom you sold it. Failure to do so will result in our taking further legal action, including reporting any violations of Federal copyright law to the FBI.

To avoid further legal action, send your written promise to cease immediately all illegal sales of the Audiobooks, all pirated copies currently in your possession, your list of buyers and sellers, and a check or money order for the appropriate amount to the listed address. If we do not receive such a package from you within five business days of receiving this letter, we will begin legal action. Once legal action has begun, we will prosecute to the full extent of the law, accepting no settlement terms.

--

But I missed the deadline because it was caught in my spam filter! What should i do?
Should I call them and tell them or email them and tell them I've sent the package asap but was delayed in sending it because the letter was caught in my spam filter.

I am so worried. Please help me! Why didn't they send me a letter? But send me an email... that's so unprofessional!

FlyingRon

I'm sure that if you haven't heard otherwise in the mean time, they'll forgive you missing the deadline.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">