• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright vs. Photosuite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xabache

Washington State

Say i download your basic photo online, it’s copyrighted by its owner, it contains no trademarks, identifiable people or other protected imagery. Just a plain copyrighted photo. I put the image in my photo program, rotate it 5 degrees to the left. Still looks to anyone with eyes to be the exact same photo. Yet to any computer hash check, a bit by bit mapping of the image, not one pixel would match the original.
This 5 degree rotation has forever changed the photo.
This is a new photo...?
Who owns the copyright of this rotated photo?

Mass_Shyster

Washington State

Say i download your basic photo online, it’s copyrighted by its owner, it contains no trademarks, identifiable people or other protected imagery. Just a plain copyrighted photo. I put the image in my photo program, rotate it 5 degrees to the left. Still looks to anyone with eyes to be the exact same photo. Yet to any computer hash check, a bit by bit mapping of the image, not one pixel would match the original.
This 5 degree rotation has forever changed the photo.
This is a new photo...?
Who owns the copyright of this rotated photo?
The copyright holder of the photograph owns the copyright to the rotated version.

see http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf&ei=60Z9S6uQLJS0tgf0lKjDBQ&usg=AFQjCNF1oVxWOl_P1pH9pFC_qmoyttZPjA

or google "Copyright Registration for Derivative Works"

FlyingRon

You're clueless if you think computers couldn't tell a simple scale/rotation to be the same image. A simple correlation would yield nearly 100% results.

As stevef says, the image remains that of the owner even when you transform it. What you're attempting to do is INFRINGMENT and it doesn't matter if it is not readily detectable (either in fact or in your imagination).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">