• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrighted episode title of tv-shows?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SaxJonas

What is the name of your state: I live in Sweden, but the copyright in question is highly american (PBSkids). The show is produced by Lyons Partnership, LP in Texas.

Note: I'm not necessarily asking if I can be sued in Sweden, I'm merely asking if there even is such a thing as copyrighting episode titles/names.

I have a question regarding tv-show episodes and copyright.

Usually a specific episode in a show has an episode title i.e.
"Friends: The one with the ..."

So the thing is, I recently created a website with what I myself consider a great name. Afterwards I'm googling it and found that the only reference made to that expression is for a tv-show called Barney and Friends.

The website name is: Practice Makes Music - Read, Learn, Play!
And the expression hence: practice makes music
Season 1 Episode 20 of Barney and Friends is called exactly that.
(practice makes music - Google Search)

So now for the question: Is it possible, and if so, is it likely that they have copyrighted the episode title?

In other words, would you consider it safe for me to continue using the name for the site?

Big thanks in advance,
Jonas

Last edited:

quincy

For U.S. copyright law, go to U.S. Copyright Office.

For U.S. trademark law, go to www.uspto.gov.

In the U.S., titles and names are not copyrightable, although some may be trademarked.

If sued for infringement, you would be sued in Sweden, in your courts and under your laws.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">