• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyrighted legal language

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ncflyman

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am curious about copyright law as it pertains to legal language that has been drafted. Twice in the last ten years I run across someone telling me that legal language was copyrighted. I don't understand how commonly used language to transaction business could be copyrighted to the exclusion of others. Hopefully my examples will better explain.

Several years ago I had a will drawn up for me and my wife. It is stated that the will is copyrighted and not allowed to be reproduced in any form. This doesn't seem practical that every lawyer would need to be careful not use the exact or similiar language in drafting wills or face legal consequences.

The other instance is in regard to real estate forms. The National Association of Realtors has copyrighted the standard required forms for use in real estate transactions in NC. You can be licensed as a broker but the state requires the use of standard forms. How can these forms be copyrighted which in essence forces anyone to join the association to be able to purchase the standard forms. I'm sure that there are ways around this because not all agents and brokers are realtors.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">