• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrighted work as part of a work that I have rights to, can I license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Molly12

If we licensed the right to use a piece of artwork in our newspaper publication, do we have the rights to license images of the newspaper that include those licensed works?

The image someone is interested in licensing includes text from the article and part of the artwork.

Do we have the right to license?

quincy

If we licensed the right to use a piece of artwork in our newspaper publication, do we have the rights to license images of the newspaper that include those licensed works?

The image someone is interested in licensing includes text from the article and part of the artwork.

Do we have the right to license?
You are from California, correct, Molly?

I am not real clear from your post who owns what here. If you are licensing the rights to use a newspaper-owned image, that is all you are licensing the rights to use. The image will not include the text. The text will generally have a separate copyright.

You, or whoever it is who wants to license rights, will need to contact the publisher (or owner of the rights) to sort out the licensing.

If you would like to come back and explain your situation a little better, I can perhaps give you a better answer.

FlyingRon

It would depend on how your license was worded. Often art (and prose) is licensed as FIRST SERIAL RIGHTS which gives you the right to publish it in your paper at the time it first appears but does NOT give you further rights for reprints, compilations, online databases, etc...

quincy

It would depend on how your license was worded. Often art (and prose) is licensed as FIRST SERIAL RIGHTS which gives you the right to publish it in your paper at the time it first appears but does NOT give you further rights for reprints, compilations, online databases, etc...
Oh. You read Molly's post differently than I did. You think she has a newspaper?

Have you reviewed Molly's posting history?

It is a bit of a confusion of trademark/copyright questions which leads me to think that Molly will be best served by consulting with an IP attorney in her area of California, this to get all of the various and assorted IP issues she is facing resolved at one time. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">