• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrighting my (deceased) Grandmother's short stories

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A1A5KA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska (see P.S.)

Growing up, my siblings and I were very close to my father’s mother and we visited her often. When Grandma died in 1989, she did not leave a will. Other than my immediate family, none of her relatives have ever expressed any interest in or desire for any of her belongings. So, my Dad took all of her things and distributed them as he saw fit. I love to read, so he gave me all of my Grandma’s creative writings.

This includes several short stories about life in New England in the early 20th Century. (She grew up in Taftsville, VT) Not all the stories are signed, but I am sure she is the author. I have the original drafts, in ink, in her handwriting. I also have typewritten drafts of some of the stories, with notes and corrections on them, also in her handwriting.

I have not copyrighted any of the stories, but I have also never made them available, either on paper or online, to anyone outside my family. I would very much like to get these stories published so that the rest of the world can enjoy them!

So here are my questions: Even though I am NOT the author of the stories, can I copyright them? I DO NOT want to sell or give away my family’s rights to my Grandma’s stories, I only want to give or sell permission for her stories to be published. Please, can you explain to me how I can both share and protect her stories?

Thank you !!!!

Amy

P.S. Not sure which state's laws apply here. I live in Alaska and that's where the papers are right now. My Grandma was born in Vermont and died in Utah. The stories were written while she was living in either Vermont, Massachusetts, or New York.

FlyingRon

They're already probably protected under your Grandmother's copyright as unpublished works. If they were to be published now that right would persist until 2059 (70 years after her death).

Whether you can publish them or not depends on whether you've inherited the rights (which is separate than physical possession of the manuscripts). Mostly this is an issue you'll have to settle with the rest of your family.

Upon publication you can register the copyright.

If you're going to self publish, this is pretty straight forward.

Getting a regular publisher to look will most likely take the work of an agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">