• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrighting a NAME/Character?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cd52381

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was wondering if you can copyright a name for a specific character or persona. For instance World Wrestling Entertainment owns the "rights" to the name "Sable". However, I know a girl named "Sable" so what makes the difference if WWE owns it or not? I was just curious if I could call the U.S. Patent/Copyright office and request to copyright a "name" or "character" that I have created so that WWE doesn't get their grubby hands on it because I think they're going to try. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

racer72

Your idea won't work. In your example, the WWE could only file a complaint for copyright infringement if someone else used the name Sable as a professional wrestler. Even those that use their real names have them copyrighted. An example of this is Steve Austin. His real name is Steve Williams and that is what he was called early in his career. But there was another wrestler at the time named Steve Williams, he was known as Dr. Death, Steve Williams. The younger Williams adopted his hometown as his last name and as they say, the rest is history. You can copyright all the names you want but unless the name is actively used in professional wrestling circles, you would have no legal claim to the name.

HomeGuru

racer72 said:
Your idea won't work. In your example, the WWE could only file a complaint for copyright infringement if someone else used the name Sable as a professional wrestler. Even those that use their real names have them copyrighted. An example of this is Steve Austin. His real name is Steve Williams and that is what he was called early in his career. But there was another wrestler at the time named Steve Williams, he was known as Dr. Death, Steve Williams. The younger Williams adopted his hometown as his last name and as they say, the rest is history. You can copyright all the names you want but unless the name is actively used in professional wrestling circles, you would have no legal claim to the name.

**A: I agree.
The Rock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">