• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrighting novel and how to send safely

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vertigone

Hello,

I've been working on a novel for a few weeks and it is coming along very well. This is my first attempt at a novel and I'm unsure of how to do a few things.

When I've finished, where do I go to copyright the novel? Please explain exactly how it works.

What do I have to do to send it out safely to publishers without the fear of having my work stolen?

Thank you.

The Occultist

Firstly, there is no requirement that you register a copyright. A work is covered by copyright, and thus protected, the moment it is created. Granted, registering the work can offer some added protections, but again, not strictly required. Most of your copyright questions can be answered at U.S. Copyright Office

As for fears of sending out your book to publishers, just make sure that you don't send your one and only copy out. If you stick with big name publishers, you'll likely find that there really is not a huge risk of a publishers randomly deciding to steal your work, but if it does happen, you still have your original work to prove you created it. If you still have concerns in this area, perhaps you should consider finding some sort of agent to help you out, or at least give a quick consultation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The best possible way to insult a publisher or literary agent is to suggest that your work is not safe from being stolen while in their hands and that if you do not copywrite it they (which will be the implication) will steal it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">