• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mfische1

:confused: I live in New York State and the question regards the following accusation received by e-mail regarding images posted on the web for potential profit at http://mdfconsulting.tripod.com/ ($1 has been received during the past two years)-

"Where did you get these pictures of ------(the name of a very famous privately owned Adirondack Camp)? Do you know that this is a private home and these pictures are of our personal property? I don't recall anyone asking permission to sell pictures of this private home and property, identifying it by name. Please contact me at once."

The pictures of this Great Adirondack Camp in New York State were taken from public property (a lake). There were no people in the images. If the individual who sent the message is in fact the owner, he or she is extremely wealthy and has a permanent residence in Texas. Is there any concern I should have with this accusation?

divgradcurl

I don't think you have to worry about a copyright issue here. Under 17 U.S.C. section 120, the copyright in an architectural work does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing or public display of photographs and pictures if the bulding is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

So, you should be okay from a copyright perspective. However, depending on what you are using these pictures for, the owner of the property may have other concerns.

I am not a lawyer, and this is in no way legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">