• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrights for online photographs? Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gypsygoddess

I posted a photo online-what constitutes it's 'date of publication'? Is it really 'published' or 'not'? All of the info I've obtained from the Copyright Office seems to be contradictory.
I called the Copyright Office to ask, and to my surprise, I was told that there is no law on the books to answer that question (yet).

The (conflicting) copyright laws say:
"Publication" is the distribution of copies...of a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution or public display constitutes publication...(BUT!)...a public display of a work does not of itself constitute publication.
And:
...it is clear that any form of dissemination in which the material object does not change hands, for example, performances or displays on television, is not a publication no matter how many people are exposed to the work.

So-how do I fill out the Copyright Application where it asks for the 'date of publication'!?
Thanks from NY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">