• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I possibly be facing a copyright lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sasha207

Hello,
I live in the middle east where copyright laws are not so stringent as they are in the US or the EU countries. I am planning to travel to the US soon and want to know whether that would result in some sort of legal trouble for me if I do based on the scenarios below.

I used to store music and PDF files in my account at a website called 4shared. The website usually takes down files after they receive a complaint against them from some one claiming copyright violations and bars access to them by putting them in the abuse folder. For 4 of the files, I was informed by the administrative staff of numerous complaints even after I replaced them with different ones or used acronyms instead of the full name. I decided to investigate the origin of these complaints by writing back to 4shared and asking them about the person/organization that lodged the complaints. I was told that the complaints were received from Websherrif. I sent an email to WebSherrif to confirm whether they did in fact lodge such complains but did not get a reply back.

I also used to store some celebrity photos that I usually got from the website called Instyle in my account at PhotoBucket. I always took care to give the entire credit to photographers/organizations that took the photo while promoting my facebook group on the side. My facebook group has only two members (me and a black girl). Recently, I found out that the photos were being deleted and/or removed immediately on upload. I tried contacting PhotoBucket support to know if there was anything wrong or if I could get into any legal trouble because of the photos that I stored but did not get a response from them either.

In conclusion, I just want to know if I could possibly face a lawsuit over the music files and the photos if I come to the US. I have heard stories about people being slammed with law suits upon entering the US and am wondering if a similar fate could be waiting for me should I choose to travel to the US. If so, what are possible consequences for me?

Sasha207

You could be sued for lots of money and find yourself broke and homeless. :cool:
What if I am already broke and homeless? Can they give me a life sentence over copyright violations? :(

Is there a way I can avoid or circumvent the lawsuits? I mean is there any recourse to the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">